Plan a Funeral and Funeral Costs
Funeral Expenses – General Price List
The Federal Trade Commission regulates funeral homes and has established a series of rules called The Funeral Rule. The Funeral Rule protects consumers’ right to purchase funeral goods and services separately. You do not have to accept a package that includes items you do not want.
The Funeral Rule requires every funeral home to have a General Price List. It is a written, itemized price list of all the items and services the funeral home offers. The General Price List will be your guide to comparing funeral costs in your area.
Some funeral homes will publish their General Price List online. If you don’t see it on the funeral home’s website, you can call or email them to ask them to send you a copy.
Here is a sample General Price List:
1. Basic Services of the Funeral Director and Staff: $2,000
A basic service charge include, but is not limited to, staff to respond to initial request for service; arrangement conference with family or responsible party; preparation and filing of necessary certificates and permits; placement of obituary notices; funeral planning arrangements; and coordination of service with cemetery, crematory, vault companies; sheltering human remains until time of service and others as required. Also included in this charge are overhead expenses relative to the facility such as insurance, maintenance and utility expenses, secretarial and administrative costs, and equipment and inventory expenses.
2. Embalming: $800
Except in certain special cases, embalming is not required by law. Embalming may be necessary, however, if you select certain funeral arrangements, such as a funeral with viewing. If you do not want embalming, you usually have the right to choose an arrangement that does not require you to pay for it, such as direct cremation or immediate burial.
3. Other Preparation of the Body
- Cosmetology, grooming, dressing, casketing: $300
- Hairstyling: $50
- Alternative Care (bathing and surface disinfecting): $250
- Developing a quick and easy “first steps” plan for your loved ones
- Refrigeration (per day): $50
- Additional fee for autopsy or organ, tissue, bone donation: $400
- Expedited cremation (additional fee): $250
4. Transfer of Remains to Funeral Home: $325
This is the typical set fee within a designated radius of the funeral home (i.e. 30 mile radius) but an additional fee per mile ($4.00 per loaded mile) outside of the designated radius may be assessed.
5. Funeral Home Facilities
- Facilities and Staff for Visitation/ Viewing ($50 per additional hour): $500
- Facilities and staff for funeral service: $550
- Facilities and staff for memorial service: $550
- Equipment and staff for graveside service: $450
- Equipment and staff for church visitation and viewing: $400
- Equipment and staff for church funeral or memorial service: $550
- Staff for Saturday or Sunday service in addition to selected service: $450
These charges typically include: supervision and attendants for visitation, arrangement of funeral flowers and other memorial vide0 tribute, coordination and direction of requested funeral or memorial service, staff members and drivers to assist in funeral or memorial service.
6. Automotive Equipment
- Hearse/funeral coach for funeral: $300
- Flower van/funeral car: $125
These are the typical set fees within a designated radius of the funeral home (i.e. 30 mile radius) but an additional fee per mile ($4.00 per loaded mile) outside of the designated radius may be assessed.
7. Direct Cremations: $3,000 to $10,000
This fee depends upon the container chosen. Fee includes transfer to funeral home, cremation fee ($700), and basic services of staff. Direct cremations with container provided by the purchaser will be less expensive. Alternative containers (made out of fiberboard or compositions materials) will be the least expensive option if purchasing a container.
8. Immediate Burial: $2,500 to $12,000
Fee includes transfer of remains to the funeral home, basic services of the funeral director/staff, and hearse to the cemetery. It does not include cemetery charges or outer burial container if one is required by the cemetery.
- Immediate burial with container provided by purchaser: $2,500
- Immediate burial with alternative container: $3,000
- Immediate burial with casket (casket purchase not included): $2,500
9. Forwarding Remains to Another Funeral Home: $3,500
This charge includes transfer of remains to funeral home, basic services of funeral director and staff, embalming, minimum shipping container and hears to the airport. It does not include services of staff or use of the facilities for viewing or funeral service. Shipping charges are not included.
10. Receiving Remains from Another Funeral Home/Mortuary: $2,500
This charge includes transfer of remains to funeral home, basic services of funeral director and staff. This chard does not include use of the facilities for viewing or funeral rites/ceremonies or any other purchases.
11. Remembrance or Memorial Package
- Register Books: $30+
- Acknowledgement Cards: $20
- Memorial Folders: $35+
- Prayer Cards (per 100): $35+
- Temporary Grave Marker: $20
12. Anticipated Cash Advances
- Medical Examiner’s Cremation Permit Fee: Varies depending on state
- Limousine 6 passenger (3 hour minimum): $300
- Limousine 8 passenger (3 hour minimum): $325
- Limousine additional hours: $100 per hour
13. Funeral Merchandise
- Caskets: $500-$10,000
- Rental Casket: $1,000
- Outer Burial Containers: $1,250-$4,000
In most areas of the country, state or local law does not require that you buy a container to surround the casket in the grave. However, many cemeteries require that you have such a container so that the grave will not sink in. Either a grave liner or a burial vault will satisfy these requirements.
- Cremation Vault: $550
- Air Shipment Tray: $200
- Combination Casket/Air Tray: $225
- Burial or Canvas Pouch: $150
- Alternative Container: $450
- Clothing: Suits – $250, Dresses – $250, Shrouds – $150
*The Federal Trade Commission Regulations requires that no warranties of merchandising fitness for a particular product are extended by the seller.